Happy New Year Readers! Welcome to 2014!
Yes you guessed it…it’s about time for my yearly blog. If there’s one thing I’ve learnt over the last 18 months it’s not to over promise.
We’re in the year of the World Cup (although not everyone is on board, mainly the Brazilian people), the coalition is somehow still together and Apple has added “Air” to all of it’s products. We said goodbye to 2013, a year which saw twerking and selfie added to the dictionary, that’s probably enough said really, right?
It’s time to turn our attention to the current tech climate, and with #CES2014 underway right now there is no better time to talk gadgets. Here are the biggest trends of 2014…
- Wearable tech: Companies literally want to have us by the balls, by balls I mean wrist or anywhere you can fit a 2gb micro processor. See here for more.
- Automated home: My absolute favourite. I’ve been waiting for this for years. Most of my setup is automated but home infrastructure has always been immune to tech…not anymore. Enter Belkin and a host of others. Check for yourself here.
- 4K TVs/Blu Ray..blah blah: This is the latest revenue grabbing/bonus inflating idea from the tech high and mighty. It promises to give us pictures with so much detail that we will finally be able to see the rogue nose hair that’s been holding Gary Lineker’s nose to ransom for all these years.
Disclaimer: Anything touting “4K” will likely cost 4 times that, and side effects may include Michael Bay coming into your house…losing his script and jumping out the window to EXCELLENT special effects. You have been warned. More on that later.
So in short there’s a lot to be excited about.
Ever since Apple announced the iWatch (and then didn’t make it…there’s a lot of that going around) consumers have been dreaming of wearing silicon about their person. So step in Apple’s Asian nemesis…no not China, but Samsung to deliver the goods. As you can see, the GalaxyGear links up to your Samsung mobile and alerts you about texts, or BBMs from your BFFs and such.
It looks seriously cool, however I’m skeptical of a few things:
1. I don’t need another reason to be robbed.
2. If you wear it people know you have a high end phone in your pocket. This equals: Double bubble for the opportunistic wrist magician. Double insurance claim/begging for you.
3. You can only use it with Samsung stuff, which is all great but some of us want to rock a Nokia 3210.
I am a huge fan of this concept and once again the masters of screens AKA Samsung Corp are all over this like a middle-class bee to Waitrose brand honey. Things like light bulbs, fridges, washing machines even vacuum cleaners are RIPE for an tech upgrade. Imagine if you wanted to boil your kettle over wi-fi like a boss? Well now you can! All these utilities are brilliant pieces of tech but have been left out in the cold when it comes to having a processor placed in them. Enter the Smart home.
Some of the concepts are truly amazing at #CES14 and I hope to see some more great stuff this year. If you’re ready now check out the Belkin WeMo series which I can say from owning a couple are incredible. I can turn my lights off by voice or by making a gesture on my phone screen. Lavish. Check out Lifehacker’s excellent article on how to do it. Also, If you have kids, you can also use the WeMo baby monitor to keep an eye on your precious toddler. Niiice.
HD came and it wasn’t enough…3D came and it STILL wasn’t enough…so what now? What do the TV guru’s throw at us. Well I’ll tell you, 4K. It’s being termed as “ultra HD” and all sorts of other ridiculous terms. I’m going to be honest, I’ve been to John Lewis to see some of these bad boys in action and I wasn’t blown…away.
Don’t get me wrong, they look incredible and they are ludicrously sized. However the price point and the lack of readily available 4K content is a drawback for budding consumers like myself. At #CES2014, against the run of play, a possible game-changer was thrown in as Netflix announced that they would start streaming 4K content later this year. This includes the very popular House of Cards. So let’s not write it off just yet.
So there you have it, a round-up of what sexy tech has been shown off at #CES2014, which will largely shape the tech trends of 2014!
One last note, the highlight of #CES2014 has already happened. I’m sure you’ve heard the rumours and perhaps seen the footage. It would take something very special to top the Michael Bay FAIL. Remember that joke earlier? That wasn’t on a whim, the Transformers director had the nightmare of his life…and it involved Samsung + 4K TV. Priceless.
Until next time/year! Enjoy.